Friday, May 1, 2009

Blogging at the Tamatsukuri Library

Hello again! Wow, two blog posts in one week, all this internet access is too much for me to handle!!! Haha...nothing could be further from the truth.

Japan's Golden Week begins tomorrow (although unofficially, people started celebrating last night). It goes from May 3-6, and basically combines several different holidays, including former holidays that have been replaced by new ones. I think (don't quote me on this) that during Golden Week, Japan celebrates the current Emperor's birthday, Greenery Day, Kid's Day (or just Boy's Day in the past), and a few other things. Of course, anything that gives Chris and I 3 days off (plus the preceding weekend) is fine by me!

On the list for these 5 days:
-tomorrow there is supposed to be a big boat festival on our lake, complete with a really old-fashioned boat being launched and cruising around for awhile
-maybe a trip to Tsuchiura, a city with a pop. of around 150,000 where there are actually things to do! We just want to explore the options.
-On Tuesday C and I celebrate our 3rd anniversary of unmarried couplehood, so we're driving to Tsukuba (pronounced Scuba) to find the only Mexican restaurant in our prefecture. C is really looking forward to beans and cheese and tequila!
-Maybe a drive out to the eastern coast to the town of Oarai, where there is a really neat-sounding aquarium. I'm talking big - they have dolphins! We drove past the town on our way to Mito for training, and it really reminded me of Santa Cruz, CA.
-Rest and Relaxation!!!

In global news, Swine flu has now hit Japan. Our coordinator just emailed us with an official warning from the Japanese Ministry of Health, basically telling us not to travel to Mexico, and if we leave Japan for a trip, when we return we'll have to be tested at the airport. Otherwise, it's not a big deal. We're so used to seeing the face masks everywhere by now, that it wouldn't make any difference seeing more of them. I haven't worn one yet, but if I start getting sick I'll be expected to wear it at work, at least between lessons.

The other day, one of the homeroom teachers I work with asked me how many Japanese words I knew. Doubting myself, I said "uh, maybe 15??". Later, I realized I had completely underestimated my language acquisition during the last month. I actually wrote down all the words and phrases I've learned, and it's near 80! I'm sure I left a few off the list, too. So hurray for me! I'll be fluent in no time, right?

We signed up for home internet service, but it takes a month, apparently, so some time around May 30 I'll actually be able to post pictures! (I don't want to put them on any public computers...)

Over and Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment