Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Day in the Life. . .

Ok, here's a typical Tessa day from start to finish:

6:15-7am: Waking up, but trying to ignore Chris' alarm as he hits snooze at least 2 or 3 times

7am-8:15am: Getting ready for work; this sometimes includes a Japanese shower (scrubbing down and rinsing outside of the tub - there's a big drain the floor - then if there's time a soak in the actual tub). And breakfast of course, which usually consists of corn flakes, instant coffee and an apple.

8:15am: Leave for work, although every day I'm at a different school and the leave time depends on the distance I have to go. Mondays I walk to a school a few minutes away, but Fridays I have to drive 35-40 minutes.

The drive: I usually turn on the radio, and if I'm not still too sleepy I listen to the lovely classical music they play.

8:45-9am: I arrive at my AM school (although Mondays and Thursdays I am just at one school all day because they have more classes for me). I park the car, gather my bulging bag of supplies - this week it included fly swatters, laminated Feelings cards, bingo sheets, and more! - and enter the building, putting my outdoor shoes into my assigned cubby, and putting on my indoor shoes.

9am: My work day officially starts. I enter the "shokoin shitsu", or teacher's room, and say "ohaiyo gozaimasu" (the u is silent). This signifies that I am ready to work. Now I sit and prep for my first lesson, or just make smalltalk with the office people (kocho sensei - principal, kyoto sensei - vice principal, #3 (head teacher, subs in for any sick teacher), secretary, and tea lady (she brings green tea and coffee to everyone at various times of the day, cleans bathrooms, weeds and waters the grounds, and smiles a lot).

9:25-12:10pm or so: Anywhere from 1-3 lessons. I always see the 5th and 6th graders, but sometimes a school wants me to do a special lesson with another class. I've seen all ages, and they always love getting the special lesson from the Eigo Sensei.
(From around 10:15-10:30am the kids have recess and teachers have teatime/prep/meeting)

12:15ish: Kyushoku! (Lunch). I usually eat with a 5th or 6th grade class, but sometimes the schools have me eat with a different grade each week. The food is delivered to each school, where the tea lady usually warms it up or divvies it up by class. Each class rotates kids to bring the food and trays to the rooms, to serve it, and to lead the lunchtime blessing of sorts. (as one teacher pointed out, they make praying hands but "no one really believe in Buddha"). The kids all say "itadakimase" and that means we can now eat. I bring my own chopsticks and a small handkerchief, because napkins basically don't exist in Japan. Lunch usually consists of soup (miso, chowder, or a surprise), rice, veggies, and some kind of piece of fish or meat. Today we had spaghetti, a croissant, ham and spinach w/mayo dressing, and a kind of egg casserole or something.
The schools all play music during lunch, too. I've heard everything from gentle classical tracks to an instrumental medley from The Little Mermaid, to the Rocky theme music, to the Star Wars theme, to J-Pop, to mall muzak. It's kids' choice, I think.

1:00-1:35: (If I have a PM school I drive there between 1-1:15pm). Recess! I usually hang out on the playground, and say hello to the droves of 1st-4th graders that flock to me. If they don't have a class with me, my mystique remains more intact apparently. Sometimes I play dodgeball, volleyball or soccer with the kids.

1:35-1:45ish: Souji, or cleaning time. Chris already touched on this. Some of my schools seem surprised that I would want to help, as fewer teachers pitch in. But I help when I can.

1:50pm-3:30: More lessons, or if I only have one class in the PM I sit in the teacher's room and make notes on the lesson, plan games, and do busy work.

3:30-4:45: More busy work, I check email if I can, and generally just chat with teachers. My lessons are planned by the Board of Education, so I don't have a ton to do outside of the classroom. Now that C and I are doing the Japanese conversation club I can read the textbook and do homework during the lulls.

4:45: After getting my timesheet stamped, I say "osaki ni shitsurei shimasu" - this means "I'm sorry to leave before you" and it lets everyone know I'm going home.

4:45-5:15: Drive home. Radio stations play a bizarre mix of Western songs at this time. I heard Lenny Kravitz, U2, and a really trippy Peter, Paul and Mary song in one 15 min. stretch once.

5:15-7pm: Rest at home, swap day reports with Chris, make dinner. Usually stir fried chicken with rice, or grilled fish and ramen. The "just add water" ramen in Japan is worlds better than any Cup o' Noodle in the US.

7-9:30: Listen to a few podcasts, play cards, iron our work clothes for the next day, etc.

9:30-10:00 - Bedtime! Another day in the can.

Ok, that's all for this installment. Hope all is well on the Western Front.

No comments:

Post a Comment