Sunday, February 15, 2009

Going Without for One Year

I have been making a list in my head of all the things I will miss while being in Japan for a year. In no particular order:

-Friends and family --- Hey, anyone want to go to Japan on vacation in the next year? eh? eh?
-Cheeses, especially Tillamook medium chedder
-Micro brews, especially Mac and Jack's
-Cereal
-Going to indie rock concerts
-The familiarity of Western Washington
-Improv
-Western theatre
-Mexican food
-American TV ---Thank goodness for Hulu
-A decent sized living space
-Cheap bars/happy hour
-My DVD collection
-Going to see the Mariners

Probably lots more too, but that's what I have off the top of my head. Of course, in absence of these things I will be forced to assimilate myself into Japanese culture, which is good -- it's part of the reason for this adventure -- but I know it's going to be tough. I've never visited another country before, other than Canada (and that really doesn't count) and I have lived my whole life in Western Washington state. I am probably most worried about the food situation. I'm not the most adventurous eater, and really the only type of Asian food I enjoy is Teriyaki, which is not traditional Japanese cuisine. I'm sure I'll survive, but it is not going to be easy.

1 comment:

  1. No Hulu in Japan, dude. Hope that isn't a deal breaker.

    ReplyDelete